Having a healthy heart is key to a healthy life. Our expert, Dr. D.S Gambhir shares tips for a healthy heart
1. Consuming mixed nuts, about 25 gms of walnuts and peanuts as they help in bringing down cholesterol levels and are rich in proteins.
2. Consuming food rich in protein, like fish as Fatty acids found in fish prevents clot formation.
3. Taking a tablet of 10 mg of statin everyday at night (if over the age of 40 and particularly diabetic).It helps to decrease cholesterol and reduce risk of heart attack.
4. General health check-ups after the age of 25 years in case of family history of heart disease.
5. Avoiding extreme weather. In the cold weather blood pressure soars harming blood vessels thereby inducing heart attacks.
6. Meditation: It has a direct impact on one’s blood pressure; there is a significant reduction in the blood pressure levels and is key to a healthy heart.
7. Starting the day with a spoon full of honey- It reduces the cholesterol in the arteries and prevents heart attack
8. Walking on dew bare feet: Walking restores a sense of balance and brings an inner calm hence it good for the heart.
9. Maintain good oral hygiene: Studies suggest gingivitis may increase the risk of heart disease and stroke because of the high levels of bacteria found in infected areas of the mouth.
10. Brisk walking for atleast 30 minutes early in the morning since it reduces the affects of pollution on the heart, which are more likely during the evening hours.
11. Listening to soft music, gurbani, sholkas etc, as these have beneficial effects on lowering the blood pressure and thus keeping the heart healthy.
(Times of India)